Wouldn’t it be wonderful if there was a way to prevent the onset of Alzheimer’s disease?
Like so many people, you may be under the assumption that there is no way to prevent Alzheimer’s from happening. You may be genetically predisposed to the disease and think that if it’s in the cards for you, there’s not much that you can do about it. Well, recent studies have actually found that there may be a way to prevent Alzheimer’s disease – with foods and spices!
What is Alzheimer’s Disease?
You’ve probably heard of Alzheimer’s disease, and may even know people who have been afflicted with the illness; however, you may not really understand it.
In short, it’s a form of dementia and it causes major impairments to the brain. It’s a degenerative disease and it impacts the memory, the ability to think clearly and also causes marked changes in behavior.
Foods and Spices to Prevent Alzheimer’s
Numerous studies have been done to try and figure out how to prevent the onset of this degenerative disease. Recently, it was found that there is a strong link between certain types of food and the disease. These foods are a natural, much healthier and even more effective way to prevent the onset of this illness.
Here are seven foods and spices to add to your diet to prevent the development of Alzheimer’s.
- Coconut Oil – Alzheimer’s leads to a dramatic decrease in brain glucose, which provides the brain with energy. Studies suggest that coconut oil actually increased the cognitive performance of subjects who were experiencing mild cognitive impairment.
- Gingo Biloba – This plant has long been hailed for its ability to increase memory; however, studies now indicate that it can also help to prevent the onset of Alzheimer’s.
- Safron – This spice is a beloved ingredient in many Indian dishes; but, not only does it make food taste delicious, it can also help to prevent the development of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Tumeric – This yellow spice is another favorite in Indian cuisine – and it should also be added to your diet to ward off Alzheimer’s. It’s been shown to have a huge impact on the development of this disease.
- Cold Water Fish – If you like salmon, tuna, mackerel, sardines and other fatty, cold water fish, then you’re in luck, because they have all been shown to have a huge impact on lowering the blood levels of beta-amyloid, a protein that is believed to be a major contributor to Alzheimer’s.
- Tree Nuts – Grab a can of hazelnuts, walnuts or any other type of tree nut and you could reduce your chances of getting Alzheimer’s. They are high in Omega-3 fatty acids, which are excellent for improved memory.
- Berries – Berries that are high in antioxidants, like blueberries and strawberries, are great for reducing inflammation and improving the brain cells, which could help to keep Alzheimer’s at bay.
These foods can not only help to prevent the development of Alzheimer’s, but they also provide several other benefits, so be sure to add them all to your diet.